Friday, March 15, 2013

Labor & Delivery Thank You's

It never occurred to me to bring a little "Thank You" gift for our labor and delivery nurses. 

I've read that many first time mom's don't even think about doing this since we don't realize how much they do for us. 

I first saw the trend on Kelle Hampton's blog when she posted a picture of the thank you's that her and her daughter's made for when she would deliver her son. 

I perused Pinterest and came across some other great ideas that I thought I'd share, since I'm still debating on what I'd like to do! 

I love the idea of individual bags of things for the nurses, like this:


I started making a list of things to include in each bag. Here's what I have so far:

-gum
-chocolate bar
-hand sanitizer
-chapstick
-altoids/mints
-hand lotion
-nuts/trail mix

The only problem is, I don't and won't know how many different nurses will be helping us. I thought about making 12, just to be on the safe side, but that is going to get pretty costly. 

I also came across this idea, where you make a few baskets to put out at the nurse's station for them all to share:


These baskets have different cheese and peanut butter crackers, breakfast bars, trail mix and chips/pretzels for all the nurses to share. 

I went to google, and found a lot of nurses and moms posting their opinions on "Thank You" gifts, food especially. Here's what I found:
-Homemade food items will be pitched, no one knows how sanitary your kitchen is. Baked goods from a bakery are much better
-While chocolate and cookies are delicious, healthy options like fruit baskets/Edible Arrangements are always welcome
- They cannot use scented lotion (who knew!?)
-Include salty and sweet items if making a basket
- Resealable packaging and/or snack size items work best
-Subway/Quizno party trays are always a hit

So, I think I may try to make some baskets for the nurse's station after our tour on Tuesday. It'll give me a good idea of how many I'll need and how many goodies to put in. If I run out of time, I'll probably go the Edible Arrangements/Bakery route. Depends on my cravings ;)


1 comment:

  1. I am ashamed I never even thought of this - and DH is a nurse! LOL. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete