Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY Ombré Crib Mobile

I'm so excited with the outcome of our baby girl's crib mobile. I used this crib mobile as inspiration, and since I wanted to continue the ombré theme from the DIY Ombré Art canvas, I decided against an all white mobile. 

Supplies:

Fiskar's 1 inch circle punch (I got mine at Joann's for $7.50 with a coupon)
8 sheets of chosen scrapbook paper, 12x12 (I used 2 sheets of each shade of pink, and 2 white)
2 spools of fishing line/any clear jewelry string 
2 Metal Macrame Rings, 1 large and 1 medium (I found these by the feathers in my Joann's)
Hot glue gun
White ribbon
1 sewing needle, large

 Circle Punch + 4 colors

To start, I used the circle punch to cut out the circles from all 4 colors. I ended up using 2 sheets of the two darker pinks, and 1 sheet each of the lightest pink and white. I didn't use the two lighter shades around the largest ring, so I didn't need as many circles for those colors. 


Circles ready to be strung! 

I stacked 5 of the dark circles and using a large sewing needle, poked a hole through the center of the circle, just wide enough to get the fishing wire through. Depending on how long you want the mobile to be, you may need more or less circles. I repeated with the other three colors. Tying a knot at the top of the fishing wire, I started to string and knot each circle onto the wire. After each circle, I tied a double knot to secure it in it's place. I made about 6 strands that had 5 circles per color. 

I made a few longer strands for the center by creating a cross pattern in the center of the smallest ring. 

Once I had these strands completed, I used a hot glue gun to glue them onto the smallest Macrame ring, evenly gluing them around. 

After those were secure, I made another 5-7 shorter strands that had the three shades of pink and glued those in between the longer strands, all along the smallest ring. 

The inner ring should now be complete. If you have any holes in between the strands, feel free to add more so that it looks full and complete. 

Along the outer ring, I made 10 strands of the two darker shades of pink, and 10 strands of just the darkest pink. I glued the longer of the two strands around the outer ring, and in between each of those, glued the shorter strands to fill in the gaps. 

My macrame rings looked like a hot mess once I had all the strands glued onto them, so I wrapped them with a white satin ribbon.

Using the clear fishing wire, Hubs and I attached the completed mobile onto the attachment that I ordered from Amazon. 

 Voila! Final result! 

Sorry if the instructions are extremely poor/vague, but it was kind of trial and error at first in order to get the length and ombré effect I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment